Love baked potato soup, but feel like it’s too much work or too heavy and caloric? Most of the goodness comes from the name itself; the potato has to be baked to get the delicious, hearty potato taste. I love this soup for many reasons; of course at the top of the list is the taste, and with busy schedules; the potatoes can be cooked ahead of time. Baking the potatoes the day before or two days before while you have a hot oven saves time, and the potatoes will be cooled and easy to handle when you are ready. I also like finishing the soup with milk and sour cream instead of heavy cream. The soup is hearty–not heavy!
Let’s Get Cooking
It doesn’t take much for this tasty soup. Begin to melt the butter in a 6-quart stock pot. After the leeks are soft, add sliced garlic and saute for two more minutes.
Baked Potato and Leek Soup
5 Large Baking potatoes, rinse and scrub well
1/4 c. butter
2 large leeks, washed and julienned
2 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 c. skim milk
1/2 c. regular sour cream
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- After washing, but immediately before placing in the oven pierce potatoes several times, bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Scoop the potato out of the skin and roughly chop.
- Melt butter in a 6-8 quart stock pot and add julienned leeks and sliced garlic cloves, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and water, cover and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Set aside one of the chopped potatoes and add the others to the broth mix,
- Using a hand blender, working through the whole soup, pulse until evenly thick consistency.
- Whisk the milk and sour cream together and add to the soup, and add the cheddar cheese. After the milk and cheese have been incorporated, add the chopped potato, add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, cheese, scallions, bacon bits or sour cream.
*Nutritional information for a one cup serving: 203 calories; 7.5g Protein, 29g Carbohydrate, 6.5 fat, and 2.8 Fiber
*varies with added toppings
Leave a Reply