Making a cream of vegetable soup is so easy, and the options for seasoning and vegetable combinations are endless.
Before we discuss the recipe, let’s talk about the five “S” of making a creamy vegetable soup.
- The First “S” is for Saute’; once you have your vegetables cut into uniform pieces, add the vegetables to 1/3 cup of clarified butter in a large stockpot. The vegetable will begin to cook in this stage, but the primary purpose of this step is to coat the vegetables with the butter.
- The Second “S” is for Singer, which means to dust. This step involves dusting the vegetables with flour. Dust the vegetables with 1/3 c. flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well coated.
- The Third “S” is Stock; in this step, we will add the hot stock. That can be either chicken or vegetable stock; for the above ingredients, you would need to add approximately 2 quarts of hot stock. Stir well.
- The Fourth “S” is Simmer; allow to stock to simmer until the vegetables are tender; this is when the vegetables are cooked. After they are tender, transfer to a blender and puree, or use a hand blender and pulse until you reach the desired consistency and return to the stockpot.
- The Fifth “S” is Season; now, you can add salt and pepper to taste or add any other seasonings to enhance your soup.
I usually stop at this point and serve my soup, but if you would like to increase the calories or protein content, you can finish the soup with heavy cream and egg yolks, which also adds to the sheen and richness. To do this thickening or lier, you would need to first temper the egg yolks and cream and create a liaison. Then the tempered liaison can be added to the soup. To make the liaison, whisk together the egg yolks and cream in a stainless steel bowl and add approximately one cup of the hot liquid and whisk all together and return the liaison to the soup and incorporate further. Adding the egg yolks and cream directly to the soup without tempering can result in the cream curdling and cause the eggs to coagulate, resulting in a lumpy soup or sauce.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- One head of broccoli
- 1/3 c. butter cut in small uniform pieces, tender parts of the stalk can be used as well
- 1/3 c. flour
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 2 ounces of heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a large stockpot.
- Saute broccoli in butter; coat well saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Dust broccoli with 1/3 c. flour, stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the hot stock and allow to simmer until the broccoli is tender.
- Transfer mixture to blender and pulse until desired consistency.
CAUTION: Use a side towel to cover any seams in the blender and lid to keep from leaking
- A hand blender can also be used directly in the stockpot, pulse to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shredded cheese if desired until it melts; serve immediately.
- OPTIONAL: Finish with egg yolk and cream if desired using the above method.
Leave a Reply