Healthy Turkey Chili (makes six servings)
Using turkey in place of beef helps to lower the saturated fat, and low sodium broth and a handful of spices, keep sodium low and taste scoring high.
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Bell pepper, chopped
1 ½ pound ground turkey
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T. tomato paste
1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 15 ounce can black beans drained
1 15 ounce can kidney beans
1 ½ c. low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until it begins to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet and cook, using a spatula to break up the turkey.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, tomatoes, pepper beans, broth, and spices to skillet, cover, and cook on low for 1 ½ hours.
Add a dollop of Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and chopped scallions.
Serve over cauliflower rice.
Nutrition Information: Calories 129; fat 3.8g, sat fat .4g, sodium 256 g; carbohydrate 29.6 g; fiber 11.5g; sugars 8.1 g; Protein 12.5g
Adapted from Delish.com
Stirfry Shrimp and Vegetables Serves 8
Again, by substituting the beef the saturated fat is lowered. Using lower sodium teriyaki sauce, and spices, keep this dish interesting and colorful with a variety of vegetables. Serve over brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa to make this a power dish!
1 ½ pound peeled and deveined shrimp
½. c. Olive olive
½ c. reduced-sodium Teriyaki sauce
1 T. vinegar
1 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Ginger
½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 can of bamboo shoots
1 can of sliced water chestnuts
1 can of baby corn
½ head of broccoli
½ medium onion
2 carrots, peeled, sliced on the bias
1 red pepper, sliced
½ c. cold water
4 T. cornstarch
- In a small bowl add olive oil, Teriyaki sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and spices, mix together.
- Add shrimp to marinade and let sit for no more than 1 hour.
- In a large skillet or wok add 1 T. avocado oil and over medium heat add onion, broccoli, carrots, and peppers, cook for 5-10 minutes or slightly soft. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 T. of marinade mixture to skillet and heat over medium heat, add shrimp and cook until opaque about 2-3 minutes per side, add the rest of marinade to skillet add all of the vegetables and the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn.
- Make a slurry with cornstarch and water and add to the stir fry and cook an additional five minutes until heated through and thickened.
Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
Nutrition: 279 Calories; Fat 14 g; Sat fat 2 g; Sodium 550 mg; Carbohydrates 17g; Fiber 2.5g; Sugar 9 g; Protein 9 g
Healthy Apple Crisp (8 servings)
I love this alternative to using butter in the topping; the apples the star of this dessert. Walnuts keep this treat high in Omega 3 fatty acids!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6 assorted apples; golden delicious, Granny Smith, etc; washed, peeled, and sliced
2 tsp cinnamon (divided)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T. maple syrup
1 c. almond flour
1 c. oats
¾ c. chopped walnuts
2 T. coconut oil
- In a large bowl mix together, apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Spread in a greased 8 X 8 pan.
- In a large bowl mix together almond flour, walnuts, and 1 tsp cinnamon and then add coconut oil.
- Spread over the apples.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories 310; Fat 18.4g fat; 4.4g sat fat; 2.2 mg sodium 32 g carbohydrate; 6.8g fiber; 13 g sugar; and 7.8 g protein
Brown rice Breakfast
This simple and delicious breakfast is so satisfying, you will be making more brown rice so you have leftovers. It is easy to put in a microwavable container and take with you and heat up anytime–not just for breakfast!
1 c. cooked brown rice
1 c. unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
1 T. dried cranberries
1 T. slivered almonds
1 tsp. Maple syrup
- Add all of the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute; stir and microwave for another minute.
Calories 330; 7.5 grams of fat; .6g sat fat; 182 mg Sodium;59g Carbohydrate; 5.7 g fiber; 10g. Sugar; 7g protein